RE: Running Code

"Hannes Tschofenig" <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Wed, 04 March 2009 14:57 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: 'Jari Arkko' <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Subject: RE: Running Code
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 16:58:43 +0200
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

Hi Jari,

>Hannes,
>
>> The work was done in a design team, it took a very long time (the
>> first design team draft dates back to May 2006).
>>
>> Jouni Malinen implemented the protocol in 8 hours!
>
>Not a good spec time / implementation time ratio!
Nope. That's also what I thought.

> There are
>also examples of people starting and *finishing* their PhD on
>the topic of an RFC *before* the RFC comes out. Not a good
>sign of the effort required to publish an RFC...
>
>Picture about the process for this particular draft can be
>found in
>http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecycle/draft-ietf-emu-eap-gpsk-ti
>ming.html

2 years and 8 months -- super fast in comparison with other documents.

>-- what can we do to make the process smoother?

Good that you ask (and this was not arranged). Here is the draft with
throughts from Henning, Markus and myself:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-tschofenig-rai-reducing-delays-00.
txt

>> There are three main problems:
>>
>> * Almost random changes to the specification make early
>implementation
>> work almost useless (if your goal is to produce code that
>aims having
>> code for a specific RFC after all). Since it takes so long to finish
>> the standardization work it is often not possible to wait
>till the RFC
>> comes out.
>>
>> * Nobody cares if you have running code. Requests to substantially
>> change the specification often come at a late stage. Even
>IESG members
>> have already re-written specifications during IETF Last Call. As a
>> joke, I suggested to just submit the table of contents to
>the IESG and then start the work there.
>>
>> * Finally, because it takes so long to finish specifications the
>> 3-level Standards Track process is rarely utilized anymore. That
>> process considers interoperable code but what does it help?
>>
>These are issues. And my opinion is that we have to take
>implementation experience very seriously. I would like to
>disagree with you on the assertion "nobody cares if you have
>running code", however.

Maybe this is just reflecting a bit my frustration.

My recent example:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/emu/current/msg01111.html

Timeline for that document:
http://www.arkko.com/tools/lifecycle/draft-ietf-geopriv-radius-lo-timing.htm

> I think all of us care. But running
>code does not necessarily override ALL other concerns. If
>there's a serious bug in the spec, it needs to be fixed, even
>if it is noticed late in the process.

I agree. It is certainly not black and white.

> Personally, I find that
>we waste most of the time waiting (for reviews, for the author
>to revise a spec, for the AD to respond, etc). If we reduce
>that we can get the process much faster.
>
>The entire value of the IETF specification effort is that you
>get comments and as a result the specification improves. That
>necessarily implies that there may be changes from your
>initial implementation. If the  goal is absolute minimum
>publication time and no changes to implementation, we should
>all just be publishing protocol specifications on our web
>pages or talking to the RFC Editor -- and this is what we do
>in many cases, but it is not the right approach for producing
>a standard.
You are certainly correct.

I am certainly not asking for instant publication of everything. I would,
however, like to reduce the publication delay from 5+ years down to
something more reasonable.

Ciao
Hannes