Re: how about talking about the Content *inside* the venue?

"Marshall Eubanks" <tme@multicasttech.com> Tue, 18 October 2005 13:03 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>
To: Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:02:40 -0400
Subject: Re: how about talking about the Content *inside* the venue?
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 12:52:29 +0200
 Eliot Lear <lear@cisco.com> wrote:

> We have in my opinion had a consistently low operator turnout.  I wonder
> if it would be possible for us to align our conference dates in such a
> way as to overlap with NANOG, RIPE, USENIX, LISA, and other appropriate
> conferences so that we can get some crossover?
>
> Eliot

Please, oh please, NO! Putting two full meetings into one week simultaneously is an excellent  way
to either miss one or spoil both.

Here are some  ideas, I'm sure that none of these are really new.

- for pay tutorials at NANOG, RIPE, APRICOT, etc. about the latest from the IETF. Could raise some
money, but is not trivial.

- Brian could institute  the "President's Lecture", where an invited speaker is given serious time
(i.e. an hour) to make a serious point or a serious review of  some issue. (This could be
operational, say for someone from NANOG, or technical, or even political, say with someone from the
ITU or the 3GPP or ...)

- for pay tutorials during the IETF, intended to educate outsiders and get them to come to the rest
of the meeting. I notice that lawyers do that a lot, mixing CLE sessions with other content. The
lawyers come (and pay) for the CLE, stay for the rest. Again, could raise some money, but is not
trivial.

Regards
Marshall