Re: Consultation on IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Tue, 12 May 2020 00:17 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Consultation on IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 12:17:20 +1200
Cc: ietf <ietf@ietf.org>
To: Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com>

Apologies for the delay in responding

> On 6/05/2020, at 4:46 PM, Abdussalam Baryun <abdussalambaryun@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 2:20 AM IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org <mailto:exec-director@ietf.org>> wrote:
> The IETF Administration LLC has prepared its Draft Strategic Plan 2020 [1].
>
> I think this drfat should be an ID best practice to become updated if needed, but there may be reasons why it was not. If there was a reason, then this plan should follow with all IETF RFC best practices. Therefore, IMO this draft needs to refer to some best practices documents (ex, RFC8711).
>
> This is a significant expansion on the previous IETF LLC strategy and is intended to provide a comprehensive strategy both for the 2020 fiscal year and the long term.
>
> The strategic plan is made up of the following elements, all of which are being presented for comment:
>
> how review or comment become productive if the plan was not input as ID or within IETF process? however, I think this strategy plan is the responsibility of LLC board as RFC8711-sec5.2.

I think it is important to differentiate between documents that specify the community consensus requirements that the LLC delivers and those documents that record how the LLC will deliver those requirements because they need to created and modified quite differently.  The LLC "delivery" documents, such as this strategy, need to bridge gaps in the community consensus requirements (hopefully only temporarily), which by definition cannot be done in a consensus document.  They also need to change regularly and sometimes rapidly (such as in response to COVID-19), which can be done through a consensus document but as an exception not the norm.  Finally, the LLC delivery documents go into much more detail than is appropriate for consensus requirements as those work best at the level of principles, criteria etc.

> 1. **Mission**.  This is a literal definition of what the IETF LLC does.  The mission rarely changes in the lifetime of the company.
> 2. **Values**.  These define how the company behaves as it follows its mission. These may change over time to reflect broader social changes.
> 3. **Strategic Goals**.  The highest priority goals of the IETF LLC.  These may be short-, medium- or long-term goals or a mix.  These are the big picture of what the IETF LLC is aiming to do in the next 3-5 years and so are the key setting that the board expects the company to follow.
> 4. **Strategic Transformations**.  These detail the changes that need to be made in order to achieve the strategic goals.   Each transformation details the current state and the desired state to transform into. These transformations should be achievable within 1-3 years.
>
> The strategy mostly depends on IETF community Needs, as mentioned in RFC8711:
>
> The role of the Board is to ensure that the strategy and conduct of
>    the IETF LLC is consistent with the IETF's needs -- both its concrete
>    needs and its needs for transparency and accountability.  The Board
>    is not intended to directly define the IETF's needs; to the extent
>    that is required, the IETF community should document its needs in
>    consensus-based RFCs (e.g., as the community did in [RFC8718 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8718>]) and
>    provide more detailed input via consultations with the Board (such as
>    takes place on email discussion lists or at IETF meetings).
>
> So IMHO, the IETF community should create an RFC for year 2020 to include the IETF community Needs, so then this strategy plan can be more focused and more productive. Therefore, this plan draft must reference the IETF community Needs document (i.e. I was not sure if we have one or not, but if we have one then please add it so we can comment while seeing the needs).

My reading of the above is entirely consistent with the approach being taken in this consultation.

thanks for your feedback.

Jay