Re: Consultation on IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org> Tue, 12 May 2020 01:59 UTC

From: Jay Daley <jay@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Consultation on IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 13:59:37 +1200
Cc: IETF Executive Director <exec-director@ietf.org>, ietf@ietf.org
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>

Added as an issue https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/12

> Should the Values also mention the international scope: no loyalty to any particular economic, geographical or cultural factors?

I think that’s an IETF consensus decision, which if articulated the LLC would of course uphold as set out in the 'Responsive' value.

This is the LLC Board’s understanding of our role in the SDO ecosystem so I will need to find a path for this to be reconciled.    Added as https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/13

> I think it's better to avoid corporate buzzwords like this. I'd be more neutral: simply delete "key stakeholders" and replace it by nothing.

While I’m averse to avoiding corporate buzzwords, your comment at the top of this message made me see that this can be made more specific.  So perhaps "To ensure the value of the IETF is well understood by participants, supporters and the broader community" ?

Added as https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/14

"… while still allowing for urgent requests during the year".  Added https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/15

> I realise that ISOC has a word to say, but I think we need to get IETF/IRTF/IETF Trust/RFC Editor signoff first.

Community sign off is assumed.  This is a very specific task because our operating agreement with ISOC requires us to get a specific set of policies in place and signed off by ISOC.  The reason for that is that the IRS asks all US 501(c)(3) charities to declare if they have those policies on their form 990 and as the LLC is a disregarded entity, we are included on the ISOC form 990.

Added as https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/16

Added as https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/17

The integration with EDU is covered by earlier issue https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/5

Added to existing issue https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/14

> Be careful about multiple buckets. It's important to avoid money being given for very specific purposes such as favouring one particular topic or (worse) one particular standards effort. It would be OK to accept money for a topic-neutral purpose, but money with strings attached is worth less than plain money.

The multiple buckets here refers to multiple opportunities to donate rather than the uses it is put to.  We already have multiple uses including an endowment, which cannot now be easily unpicked.

Dogma either way is the issue.  I think the balance you are after is already expressed in https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/9

I agree.  Captured as https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/18

> But again: IETF participants are *very* sensitive to tooling changes, because we all have workflows set up. The datatracker is a great success precisely because it evolved over years in response to needs, and was largely implemented by experienced IETF participants. As a result, it's very much fit for purpose. Ain't broke, don't fix.

There are parts of datatracker that others regard as broken, performance for example.  However, this is specifically about LLC operations, not community facing, which I will make clear.  https://github.com/ietf-llc/strategy-2020-consultation/issues/19

Jay

--
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director