RE: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC

"George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com> Fri, 23 September 2011 13:55 UTC

From: "George, Wes" <wesley.george@twcable.com>
To: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 09:58:09 -0400
Subject: RE: Last Call: <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request-03.txt> (IANA Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Transition Space) to Informational RFC
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space@tools.ietf.org" <draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space@tools.ietf.org>, "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>, "draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request@tools.ietf.org" <draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request@tools.ietf.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Arkko [mailto:jari.arkko@piuha.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:59 PM
To: George, Wes
Cc: ietf@ietf.org; draft-weil-shared-transition-space-request@tools.ietf.org; draft-bdgks-arin-shared-transition-space@tools.ietf.org

what I am asking should not be a long piece of text or require a huge amount of analysis. Basically, it should state that the effects are <here> and that these undesirable <implications> may be seen, and that <this type of IETF specifications> need revision. Making those actual revisions should be done in separate documents.

WEG] Jari, effects and implications probably wouldn't add much. However, I'm wondering about the value of maintaining two separate drafts (-weil and bdgks) if weil is now being asked to include these things that are mostly already covered in bdgks.
Regarding "<this type of IETF specifications> need revision" - would you be ok with something like, "any existing standard that prescribes different behavior in the presence of RFC1918 (or non-unique) addresses will need to be evaluated." ?
If you're wanting something more in-depth than that, I think you're underestimating the work involved. That in and of itself could be a whole draft. If we're going to undertake it, I don't want to do it half-assed, and I would rather not see it be gating to these drafts.

> But if we are unsure and somehow asked ARIN to make the reservation anyway, the address space would already be nailed down, the knowledge of the actual usable space would leak and everyone would be using it anyway.
WEG] I think that this is a minor concern at best. ARIN can be explicitly instructed not to divulge the reservation. This is something that could be reserved internally by ARIN staff without publishing it publicly.

Wes George