Re: Last Call: Use of ISO CLNP in TUBA Environments to Proposed

Brian Carpenter CERN-CN <brian@dxcern.cern.ch> Wed, 28 July 1993 06:51 UTC

Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Brian Carpenter CERN-CN <brian@dxcern.cern.ch>
Subject: Re: Last Call: Use of ISO CLNP in TUBA Environments to Proposed
To: Craig Partridge <craig@aland.bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1993 08:17:20 +0200
Cc: IESG@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, tuba@lanl.gov

Folks,

>--------- Text sent by Craig Partridge follows:
>

> > The IESG has received a request from the TCP/UDP over CLNP-addressed
> > Networks Working Group to consider <draft-ietf-tuba-clnp-03.txt> "Use
> > of ISO CLNP in TUBA Environments" for the status of Proposed Standard.
>
> Hi:
>
>     I believe that standardizing (or putting into the standards track)
> any of the IPtng proposals before we've decided which one we are likely
> to pick is to revive the CMOT/SNMP/HEMS competing standards migraine.
>
>     Given that the various BOFs on IP criteria are still having trouble
> determining what the right IPtng goals are, how can we possibly think of
> putting one of the proposals on the standards track?

I think there is an element of misunderstanding here. I don't see this
as putting TUBA on the IPng standards track. It is actually saying
"whatever IPng is, people WILL be running TCP and UDP over CLNP, and
this is (part of) how to do it." As a network operator, I want to
see a complete document set for TUBA so that if and when TUBA products
appear, I have something to measure them against. This is quite
independent of which proposal IESG ultimately recommends to the
IETF as IPng.

Regards,
	Brian Carpenter CERN, brian@dxcern.cern.ch
			voice +41 22 767 4967, fax +41 22 767 7155

| This is a personal opinion, and not an endorsement of            |
| PIP, SIP, TP/IX, Nimrod, TUBA or anything. Really.               |