RE: Last Call Review of draft-ietf-manet-dlep-25

"Taylor, Rick (External)" <rick.taylor.external@airbus.com> Thu, 15 December 2016 10:11 UTC

From: "Taylor, Rick (External)" <rick.taylor.external@airbus.com>
To: Matt Miller <mamille2@cisco.com>, "gen-art@ietf.org" <gen-art@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-manet-dlep.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-manet-dlep.all@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: Last Call Review of draft-ietf-manet-dlep-25
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 10:11:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.80.22.46]
Cc: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the review, some (slightly late) comments inline...

We have received similar feedback from the IANA review which we believe we have addressed in draft-26, which is now published.  Could you check to see if we have addressed your concerns as well?

> Minor issues:
>
> * I wonder if any consideration was made to use TLS for at least
> confidentiality when exchanging DLEP Messages.  I can see where DTLS might
> not be practicable -- or even possible -- for the Discovery Signals.  However,
> the session lifecycle for DLEP Messages makes TLS a better fit.

You are not the only reviewer to raise the thorny issue of TLS.  We have attempted to address this in draft-26.

> * In the heartbeats state description (Section 5.3.), it's not clear that
> implementations can factor in other received messages in determining when
> to send heartbeats.  From looking at Appendix
> B.7 it's clear that was at least considered, but the text makes no mention.  I
> think it would be worth expanding on heartbeats to at least hint at this
> optimization.

As Stan Ratliff replied to Ben Campbell (who also raised this point):

Our intent was for other messages to "count" as heartbeats - Section 5.3.1 (Heartbeats), says in part:  "Receipt of any valid DLEP Message MUST reset the heartbeat interval timer (i.e., valid DLEP Messages take the place of, and obviate the need for, additional Heartbeat Messages)."

> * In the session termination state description (Section 5.4.), it does not
> explicitly allow for an unresponsive peer; it states that an implementation
> entering this state "MUST wait for a Session Termination Response Message
> (Section 10.10) from its peer", then later hints that an implementation should
> enter the Session Reset state when the response is received or it times out.
> I suggest that the MUST here explicitly allow for this timeout.

This was raised by at least one other reviewer and has been addressed in draft-26.

> * There seems to be a discrepancy between Section 5.3. "Heartbeats"
> and Section 5.4. "Session Termination" with regards to the minimum number
> of missed heartbeats before a session should terminate from no response --
> 2 messages versus 4 messages, respectively.  I suggest putting the minimum
> limit in either Heartbeats or Session Termination and removing it from the
> other.

The intention here was to allow 2 timeouts during normal session flow, but wait up to 4 timeout-intervals for a Session termination Response message before aborting the TCP connection.

On the back of other review comments, we may revisit this text an try to declare some variables that can be referenced to aid clarity in these sections.

> Nits/editorial comments:
>
> * In Section 3.1. "Requirements", the mandate to use RFC5082 is said twice --
> more generally to all of DLEP in the third paragraph and then specifically to
> TCP usage in the fifth paragraph.

This section has been reworked in draft-26, mentioning RFC5082 only once.

> * In Section 6. "Transaction Model", the term "destination up" is not
> capitalized as it is elsewhere.

Good catch - will fix!

Sorry for the delay in responding, this is the first time I've gone through this process and I'm not entirely up to speak with etiquette!

Regards,

Rick Taylor

The information contained within this e-mail and any files attached to this e-mail is private and in addition may include commercially sensitive information. The contents of this e-mail are for the intended recipient only and therefore if you wish to disclose the information contained within this e-mail or attached files, please contact the sender prior to any such disclosure.

If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying or distribution is prohibited. Please also contact the sender and inform them of the error and delete the e-mail, including any attached files from your system.

Emails to Airbus Defence and Space Limited may be processed, recorded and monitored anywhere in the European Community.

Airbus Defence and Space Limited

Registered Office: Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage, Hertfordshire, SG1 2AS.
Registered in England and Wales under company number 02449259.