RE: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

"Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com> Wed, 08 August 2007 17:18 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:18:11 -0700
From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <pbaker@verisign.com>
To: Rémi Denis-Courmont <remi.denis-courmont@nokia.com>, ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-wilson-class-e-00.txt

Which widespread IPv4 stacks?

Given that we have a shortage of IPv4 space I cannot see how we could possibly put a quarter billion IPv4 addresses beyond use just because a number of unspecified IPv4 stacks have issues.

Rather than wall off the space as private and thus put it beyond any use we should think about what other uses we might be putting it to.

>From a PR point of view this plays very baddly. It reads as IPv6 zealots eagerly bringing the crisis point nearer by a notch.

We need to change the way that this transition is being managed Unless we get the stakeholders round the table and stop trying to dictate terms through technical unilateral specifications we are going to end up with the result that we like least and are trying to avoid.

The wargames do not point to an inevitable transition to IPv6. If you play them honestly they lead to a heavily NAT-ed model where the large ISPs are free to re-establish the walled garden model that keeps re-appearing.

This is brinksmanship diplomacy. It has a very poor record.