RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> Wed, 05 July 2000 15:20 UTC

From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To: Patrik Fältström <paf@swip.net>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org
Subject: RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 08:10:10 -0700

if i have a device which can only send and receive email, am i "on the
internet?"

if i have a device that lets me send and receive messages to/from internet
users, am i "on the internet"

note that sms with a gateway satisfies the last one.

my point is not to push sms or whatever.  but that by "on the internet" i
think we mean having unincumbered availability of the common application
protocols, email, http, ftp, ssh, ...  i may not choose to use/install them
all, but the commumications technology i use (note this did not say the end
device) should not prevent me from doing so.

e.g. that one-chip web server, with no human interface, is indeed "on the
internet."  a wap phone is not internet, it's waporware <tm>!

randy