RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??

Patrik Fältström <paf@swip.net> Thu, 06 July 2000 02:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 18:22:37 -0700
To: Lloyd Wood <l.wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
From: Patrik Fältström <paf@swip.net>
Subject: RE: Is WAP mobile Internet??
Cc: ietf@ietf.org

At 17.25 +0100 00-07-05, Lloyd Wood wrote:
>  > i may not choose to use/install them
>  > all, but the commumications technology i use (note this did not say the end
>  > device) should not prevent me from doing so.
>
>...without having to ask some telco's permission or pay more to enable
>the ability. (This is distinct from charging for extreme capacity
>use.)

There is nothing wrong by providers selling you one thing (accessing
data also available on the Internet) for one sum of money, and the
ability to have Internet access for another (higher).

What I don't like is that providers sell non-Internet connections and
then "charge more" for the abilities you list above (and others).

I.e. if they can produce something silly which the market buys, I
don't see anything wrong with that -- but it should NOT be called
Internet Access.

In Sweden we have rules for how much beef there have to be
(percentage) for something to be called "meatballs". Other things are
called "frying balls", "lean balls" etc. The same market-driven
regulation should be true for "Internet Access".

    Patrik