Re: [certid] Review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check

Shumon Huque <shuque@isc.upenn.edu> Mon, 13 September 2010 17:03 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:03:39 -0400
From: Shumon Huque <shuque@isc.upenn.edu>
To: Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im>
Subject: Re: [certid] Review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check
Cc: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, IETF cert-based identity <certid@ietf.org>, ietf@ietf.org

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:18:00AM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> On 9/9/10 1:36 PM, Stefan Santesson wrote:
> > On 10-09-09 8:38 PM, "Shumon Huque" <shuque@isc.upenn.edu> wrote:
> >
> >> Earlier in RFC 4985, it says:
> >>
> >>    The SRVName, if present, MUST contain a service name and a domain
> >>    name in the following form:
> >>
> >>       _Service.Name
> >>
> >>    The content of the components of this name form MUST be consistent
> >>    with the corresponding definition of these components in an SRV RR
> >>    according to RFC 2782
> >>
> >> I think this was actually clear enough. The subsequent statement that
> >> Name is "The DNS domain name of the domain where the specified service
> >> is located." (which could mean any of a number of things) confused the
> >> issue, and probably should not have been in the document.
> >
> > Agreed, but since it will be an errata, the text must be corrected.
> >
> > Do you agree with my proposal?
> >
> >     "The DNS domain name of a domain for which the certified subject
> >      is authorized to provide the identified service."
>
> Authorized by whom? I *think* that here the DNS domain name is one that
> the certified subject has itself authorized (perhaps even "established"
> is better) to provide the desired service. Therefore I suggest an
> alternative wording:
>
>      "A DNS domain name which the certified subject has
>       authorized to provide the identified service."
>
> Peter

I don't think the term "authorized" makes the situation any
clearer.

Let's take a concrete example: an IMAP client attempting to
connect to and use the IMAP service at "example.com".

It needs to lookup the "_imap._tcp.example.com." DNS SRV record
to figure out which servers and ports to connect to.

And in the presented certificate, it needs to expect to find an
SRVName identifier with "_imap.example.com" as its contents,
where the _Service and Name components were the same ones it used
in the SRV query.

There is no need to figure out who authorized what.

--
Shumon Huque
University of Pennsylvania.