Re: Review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check

Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com> Wed, 08 September 2010 14:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:21:15 +0200
Subject: Re: Review of draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check
From: Stefan Santesson <stefan@aaa-sec.com>
To: Bernard Aboba <bernard_aboba@hotmail.com>, daedulus@btconnect.com, ietf@ietf.org, stpeter@stpeter.im

My apology,

I just realized that the document defines "source domain" as what I thought
would be the "target domain"

   source domain:  The fully-qualified DNS domain name that a client
      expects an application service to present in the certificate.

Which makes my comments below a bit wrong.

I think it would be better to discuss this in terms of "reference
identifier" and "presented Identifier".

   presented identifier:  An identifier that is presented by a server to
      a client within the server's PKIX certificate when the client
      attempts to establish a secure connection with the server; the
      certificate can include one or more presented identifiers of
      different types.

   reference identifier:  An identifier that is used by the client for
      matching purposes when checking the presented identifiers; the
      client can attempt to match multiple reference identifiers of
      different types.

I see no problem in obtaining the reference identifier from a DNS lookup an
the comparing it with a presented identifier in the certificate.

Why would you require the reference identity to be provided by a human user?

/Stefan