Re: [tsvwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-06.txt> (Recommendations for Transport Port Number Uses) to Best Current Practice

gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk Sat, 17 January 2015 16:51 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 16:51:06 -0000
Subject: Re: [tsvwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-06.txt> (Recommendations for Transport Port Number Uses) to Best Current Practice
From: gorry@erg.abdn.ac.uk
To: Joe Touch <touch@isi.edu>
Cc: Alexey Melnikov <alexey.melnikov@isode.com>, ietf@ietf.org, tsvwg@ietf.org

HI,

I added a little history in-line to help inform comments on the intended
status.

> Hi, Alexey,
>
> On 1/16/2015 11:16 AM, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>> Hi Joe,

>> My concerns is that BCP are commonly used by ADs to enforce compliance.
>> So I am wondering why this document is not just Informational?
>
> AFAIR, the WG wanted it to be BCP to be a stronger recommendation to
> protocol designers than would be an Informational doc.

Yes the document was marked BCP on 2011-01-26 after WG discussion and
advice from our ADs, but this was not based on offering advice to IANA (as
in RFC 6335), but rather guidance to protocol and applications designers
needing to use transport ports

Gorry