Re: Last Call: <draft-bonica-special-purpose-03.txt> (Special-Purpose Address Registries) to Best Current Practice

Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net> Thu, 20 December 2012 23:15 UTC

Subject: Re: Last Call: <draft-bonica-special-purpose-03.txt> (Special-Purpose Address Registries) to Best Current Practice
From: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 10:15:08 +1100
To: Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
Cc: IETF Discussion <ietf@ietf.org>

Hi Ron,

I'm pleased to see the addition of this column and the recognition of this distinction between reservations in the protocol's address plan and special purpose assignments being made . This is a useful step forward.

Personally, I think that the two sets of addresses belong in different registries, but I'm willing to recognise this as a matter of personal taste and not a fundamental objection to the further progress of the document per se (i.e. for me its more of a matter of registry management style - I would advocate the protocol's address plan should be recorded in a single registry, and special purpose assignments recorded in a special purpose assignment registry)

So: "solved?" For me, it's a 51% solution: solved, but could do better :-)

cheers,

   Geoff

--

Geoff Huston