Re: Network Energy Management

shogunx@sleekfreak.ath.cx Sat, 06 August 2022 00:23 UTC

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2022 20:23:29 -0400
From: shogunx@sleekfreak.ath.cx
To: Hesham ElBakoury <helbakoury@gmail.com>
cc: IETF <ietf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Network Energy Management

On Fri, 5 Aug 2022, Hesham ElBakoury wrote:

> Hi Shogun,But what IETF can do to support this approach ?

As the IETF?  I do not know.  As individuals who operate networks,
influence those who operate networks, and the like, we can encourage the
use of power systems adapted to a world where even power from redundant
grids, battery storage, and diesel generators of last resort will not
prove stable enough.

I suggest that adaptive work is needed to ensure that the network
continues to function properly through more adverse conditions in the
future. To whit:  how many datacenters in New Orleans maintained
functionality throughout Hurricane Katrina? This adaption, imho, includes
site-local renewable power plants, and necessarily the optimization of the
core network equipment to present as low a load as possible upon the
finite power budget provided by appropriately sized off-grid or
grid-interactive renewable energy systems.  Similarly, adaptations to
trans-oceanic circuits will be required, as dry ground for landings
becomes a moving target.

What can we do?  We can realize that the design considerations have
changed, and will continue to change, and thus the network core needs to
adapt to new conditions.