Re: [Ltru] Possible RFC 3683 PR-action

Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com> Mon, 24 March 2008 07:51 UTC

From: Peter Constable <petercon@microsoft.com>
To: "ietf@ietf.org" <ietf@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 00:48:32 -0700
Subject: Re: [Ltru] Possible RFC 3683 PR-action
acceptlanguage: en-US
Sender: ietf-bounces@ietf.org

Randy Presuhn wrote:

> However, the vocabulary, style, content, and peculiar world-view of
> this latest missive leave me more convinced than ever that "LB"
> is indeed JFC Morphin, and that under the terms of RFC 3683
> we are well justified in suspending the posting privileges for that
> address.

I'll mention a few things in relation to this: First, I believe the record in the archives of the LTRU list will show that at times in the past JFC attempted to circumvent actions taken to limit his posting privileges to that list by using alternate email addresses, signed under his same name. Secondly, at various times since his posting privileges to that list were first limited, the list received mail from posters presenting themselves by a different name but whose vocabulary, style, content and world view were decidedly similar to that of JFC. In short, "LB" is not the first instance of a poster to LTRU that I suspected of being a sock-puppet for JFC. Nor is it just of late that "LB" was suspected of being a sock-puppet for JFC.

Also, a quick search for "lbleriot" did not point to anybody engaging in public discussions except on the LTRU or IETF lists. I find that somewhat curious given LB's comment to be a member of a "multilinguistic working list": I suppose there could be a group of multiple individuals working on protocol specifications intended for the Internet or other such public systems but all of whose discussions are conducted on a private list, but it would be readily accounted for if, in fact, LB were no more than a sock-puppet.

Granted, LB's posts to LTRU have been neither as frequent or a long as were JFC's before his privileges were suspended. And granted that there is one other online presence for a "lbleriot" who, for over some period of time ending early last year, sold a number of items on eBay and apparently had very positive feedback. Neither of these points lead me to consider Randy's actions to be unreasonable, however.

Peter