[EAI] Comments on draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-01

Ernie Dainow <edainow@ca.afilias.info> Wed, 07 July 2010 13:41 UTC

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 09:41:40 -0400
From: Ernie Dainow <edainow@ca.afilias.info>
To: ima@ietf.org
Subject: [EAI] Comments on draft-ietf-eai-frmwrk-4952bis-01

2. Role of This Specification
[[anchor2: Note in Draft: Is 5825 still relevant, or is a victim of the
"no in-transit downgrade" decision.??]]

Comment:  RFC 5825 describes how to construct the original headers from
the "Downgraded-" headers. This is not relevant unless we are planning
to use such headers (defined in 5504) for specifying how a final
delivery SMTP server/mail store should downgrade messages that POP or
IMAP can restore for UTF8 clients.

7.1 SMTP Extension for Internationalized Email Address
Conformance to the group of standards specified here for email transport
and delivery requires implementation of the SMTP Extension
specification, including recognition of the keywords associated with
alternate addresses, and the UTF-8 Header specification.

Comment:  remove "including recognition of the keywords associated with
alternate addresses".

8. Downgrading before and after SMTP Transactions
While the experiments that preceded these specifications included a
mechanism for passing backup ASCII addresses to intermediate relay
systems and having those systems alter the relevant message header
fields and substitute the addresses,

Comment:  add a reference to RFC 5504 for future readers who may not
know anything about the Experimental drafts.

9. Downgrading in Transit
[[anchor16: ... this section will simply be dropped.]]

Comment:  Leading up to the recharter, there was a lot of heated
discussion on algorithmic/ACE transformations, even though it had been
covered at the beginning of the working group. I think we need to
capture some of this history or future readers of the standard will
raise the same questions again. I suggest the following as a starting point.

Section 2.3.11 of RFC 2321, and RFC 2821 before that, states that "due
to a long history of problems when intermediate hosts have attempted to
optimize transport by modifying them, the local-part MUST be interpreted
and assigned semantics only by the host specified in the domain part of
the address".

Adherence to this rule means that a downgrade mechanism that transforms
the local-part of an email address cannot be done in transit. It can
only be done at the endpoints, namely by the MUA or submission server or
by the final delivery SMTP server.

One of the reasons for this rule has to do with legacy email systems
that use source routing in the local-part of the address field.
Transforming the email address destroys such routing information. There
is no way a server other than the final delivery server can know, for
example, whether the local-part of user%foo@example.com is a route
("user" is reached via "foo") or simply a local address.

     - Ernie