Re: [EAI] Proposed resolution of List-* and downgrade- Issues

Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp> Wed, 30 July 2008 06:27 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:18:15 +0900
To: Randall Gellens <randy@qualcomm.com>, ima@ietf.org
From: Martin Duerst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: [EAI] Proposed resolution of List-* and downgrade- Issues
Sender: ima-bounces@ietf.org

For the Archived-At header, defined in http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5064.txt,
which is related to list headers but somewhat different because it
indicates per-message archival location, I took a forward-looking
approach and included this:

2.4.  Syntax Extension for Internationalized Message Headers

   There are some efforts to allow non-ASCII text directly in message
   header field bodies.  In such contexts, the URI non-terminal in the
   syntax defined in Section 2.1 is to be replaced by an
   Internationalized Resource Identifier (IRI) as defined in [RFC3987].
   The specifics of the actual octet encoding of the IRI will follow the
   rules for general direct encoding of non-ASCII text.  For conversion
   between IRIs and URIs, the procedures defined in [RFC3987] are to be
   applied.

My understanding is that this is enough for people to figure out
that with EAI, they can use IRIs (encoded in UTF-8) in the
Archived-At header(s) of EAI messages. If somebody thinks that's
not enough, and a revision of RFC 5064 is needed, please tell me.

Regards,    Martin.