Re: Further IESG feedback on draft-crispin-imapv-17.txt

Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM> Fri, 20 September 2002 00:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:08:58 -0700
From: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Further IESG feedback on draft-crispin-imapv-17.txt
Cc: paf@cisco.com, jis@mit.edu
Sender: owner-ietf-imapext@mail.imc.org

I am absolutely opposed to the change the IESG has proposed because it will
result in inadequate real-world security for the IMAP protocol.

RFC 2060 currently requires no security for IMAP.  So the unencrypted
plaintext password mechanism is the only one that all IMAP products
implement.  Customers purchasing IMAP software require interoperability and
thus require support for unencrypted plaintext passwords.  The only upside
is that SSL/TLS has deployed quite well.

The "SHOULD NOT" language greatly improves the situation because many
vendors will comply with the spec and advertise that fact, and thus it will
create market pressure for IMAP vendors to implement STARTTLS.

The "MUST NOT" language is not nearly as effective.  Because vendors can
not comply with the new spec and meet customer requirements, they will
ignore the spec and simply claim compliance with RFC 2060.  As a result,
there will be no new market pressure to improve the status quo.

Therefore, the current "SHOULD NOT" language will provide better real-world
security than the proposed "MUST NOT" language.

Mark's proposed compromise language is also acceptable and better than the
current language.

                - Chris

begin  quotation by ned.freed@mrochek.com on 2002/9/19 10:34 -0700: