Re: [Int-area] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-laganier-ipv6-khi-01.txt

Julien Laganier <julien.IETF@laposte.net> Thu, 20 April 2006 18:06 UTC

From: Julien Laganier <julien.IETF@laposte.net>
To: Geoff Huston <gih@apnic.net>
Subject: Re: [Int-area] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-laganier-ipv6-khi-01.txt
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:05:31 +0200
Cc: Internet Area <int-area@ietf.org>

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your thorough review of our document, this is helpful.

Replying to your comment in which you said you "just don't understand
why these upper level ORCHIDs must be drawn from the same unicast
token space as forwarding identifiers that are used in packets on the
wire."

As Tom noted, doing so would allow to "coordinate 128-bit quantities
used in the AF_INET6 sin6_addr field at the API by recognizing that
some experimental systems expand the semantics of that field and use
higher-order bits to distinguish between currently used IPv6
addresses and other quantities.  The allocation seems to me to be a
good idea to more formally recognize this, but not a requirement for
these experiments to continue."

I agree with Tom that such an allocation is not a requirement per se.
However, doing so would allow to use on a single system most of the
*unmodified* IPv6 applications, both with HIP and without HIP.

I think it is especially valuable for the HIP experiment because it
would lower the barrier to participate in the experiment. Possibly
anyone could participate in the experiment on a day-to-day basis
while using a single IPv6 system (There's HIP implementations for
BSD, Linux, MacOS X and Windows). People would not be required to
set-up and use a specialized system which can only talk to
HIP-enabled nodes. IMHO doing so would foster the HIP experiment by
widening the potential participant base.

Regards,

--julien