Re: [IPFIX] unobserved fields

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Sun, 09 December 2012 09:32 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 10:32:15 +0100
To: Paul Aitken <paitken@cisco.com>
Cc: IETF IPFIX Working Group <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] unobserved fields

Hi, Paul, Andrew,

I'm not sure I understand the proposed mechanism here...

Observed/unobserved is a per-field/per-record attribute, while extended field specifiers modify IEs per-column: every instance of a given IE in a Template is "decorated" with its extension.

As I understand the requirements for -unobserved-fields, we want a way to distinguish, from an MP: "I am capable of observing this attribute, but it was not present in the observation" versus "I am not capable of observing this attribute". We have the second already: simply leave the IE out of the template. And, indeed, you can also use leaving things out of the template to signify the first: the presence of a field in some templates from an EP/MP combination implies that it's observable, its absence in the other implies it's not observed. FWIW, YAF does this for those things that haven't moved behind the 6313 curtain: no reverse elements if it's not a biflow, for instance.

Given that, how would you use a per-IE specifier to signal a per-record attribute? What am I missing?

Cheers,

Brian