RE: in band configuration? RE: [ipfix-req] Proposed changes to draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-00.txt

"Kevin Zhang" <kevin.zhang@xacct.com> Thu, 14 February 2002 16:59 UTC

From: Kevin Zhang <kevin.zhang@xacct.com>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, ram.gopal@nokia.com
Cc: quittek@ccrle.nec.de, zander@fokus.gmd.de, ipfix-req@net.doit.wisc.edu
Subject: RE: in band configuration? RE: [ipfix-req] Proposed changes to draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-00.txt
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 11:42:54 -0500
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

My comments are inserted, thanks.

Kevin

I would underscore the fact that exporters might be probes and midboxes that need to support more data collection functionality. Without some form of configuration, preferably in-band, their applications will be significantly limited.

> > There is always a debate one can make whether to consider all
> the problems at forehand
> >  or do incremental activity. I do not want to get into that.
> >

> > >1. Do you want the working group to spend the time (the money)
> > >to developp a comon provisioning protocol, IF this is even
> > >possible to have an agreement on that accross the different
> > >vendor (probes and routers), which I think is impossible.
> > >

> > Flow information protocol is extensible and we cannot deal in defining
> > flows for each  each and every  protocols. Flow information can
> be exchanged between
> > two endpoints if they know how to interpret the fields which
> may be vendor specific.
>
> The information model must be extensible. Agreed, but this is a
> different issue than inband
> configuration.
> BTW, In Ganesh and I's draft, the collector will be able to
> decode a template, even if it doesn't know
> anything about some specific fields.

Through template negotiation/acknowledgement, the correct context can be set at the IPFIX end-points.  This will ensure correct interpretation of received data by the collector.  The periodic template refreshing scheme is less robust as losses of the template information will put the collector on hold.  For some applications that require real-time information collection, this means the flow information will be delayed at least another refreshing cycle.

The CRANE protocol http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-kzhang-crane-protocol-02.txt uses template negotiation to achieve flexibility and extensibility of flow information export. Very little contraints are imposed on what can be exported. The template negotiation typically happens once during set-up to allow the IPFIX end-points to sync. on a set of templates.  The actual flow information is transfered in its native form accompanied by a template ID. I believe this is a nicer approach.