RE: in band configuration? RE: [ipfix-req] Proposed changes to draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-00.txt

"Kevin Zhang" <kevin.zhang@xacct.com> Thu, 14 February 2002 18:07 UTC

From: Kevin Zhang <kevin.zhang@xacct.com>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>, ram.gopal@nokia.com, kevin.zhang@xacct.com
Cc: quittek@ccrle.nec.de, ipfix-req@net.doit.wisc.edu
Subject: RE: in band configuration? RE: [ipfix-req] Proposed changes to draft-ietf-ipfix-reqs-00.txt
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:52:08 -0500
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

This I totally agree with you, template configuration/negotiation is the minimum the IPFIX should support. And it should be done in-band as this is an integral part of a flow export protocol.

> The only conclusion that this thread draw is: in or out-of-band,
> I mean CLI configuration of the exporter or the exporter, via the
> IPFIX protocol, must be able to configure the exporter.
I am not very clear about this point.  Could you clarify? I assume in-band configuration refers to configuration through IPFIX control messages.

> > > the problems at forehand

> in defining
> > > be exchanged between
> > > may be vendor specific.
> > >
> > > The information model must be extensible. Agreed, but this is a
> > > different issue than inband
> > > configuration.
> > > BTW, In Ganesh and I's draft, the collector will be able to
> > > decode a template, even if it doesn't know
> > > anything about some specific fields.
> > >

> > Through template negotiation/acknowledgement, the correct
> context can be set at the IPFIX end-points.  This will ensure
> correct interpretation of received data by the collector.  The
> periodic template refreshing scheme is less robust as losses of
> the template information will put the collector on hold.  For
> some applications that require real-time information collection,
> this means the flow information will be delayed at least another
> refreshing cycle.
>
> This is not correct but I would come back on that in other thread, later.
> Negotation is something else that the group will have to find a
> rough consensus on..
> I propose to just concentrate on one issue at the time, if we
> want to be efficient: in or out-of-band configuration. No
> worries, the thread for negotation would follow!

Agree