Re: [IPFIX] No active/inactive timeout definitions in any IPFIX RFCs? Idle versus inactive terminology? (part of draft-ietf-bmwg-ipflow-meth-09 review)

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Wed, 18 April 2012 10:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 12:51:10 +0200
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: Gerhard Muenz <muenz@net.in.tum.de>
Cc: Ron Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>, "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] No active/inactive timeout definitions in any IPFIX RFCs? Idle versus inactive terminology? (part of draft-ietf-bmwg-ipflow-meth-09 review)

Dear all,

I believe that consistency is important amongst all the IPFIX documents.
What Brian expressed "Given that 5102 predates all other
(directly-IPFIX-related) references, and there's an IE in the IANA
registry called flowIdleTimeout, I'd tend to go with "idle" for this
one." is I believe the right way forward.
And Gerhard mentioned " We could change the name in the MIB and in
ipfix-config if consistency is important."

So let me propose the following:
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipfix-configuration-model-10, in
the RFC-editor queue:
     we could still change inactive to idle
- http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipfix-rfc5815bis-03, in the
RFC-editor queue
     we could still change inactive to idle
- Editorial errata on RFC5472:
     "inactive" -> "idle"
     Potentially, an extra sentence such as: "note that the idle timeout
is sometimes called the inactive timeout in the industry"
- http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-bmwg-ipflow-meth-09.txt
     replace inactive by idle.

Any objections?

Regards, Benoit.