Re: [IPFIX] No active/inactive timeout definitions in any IPFIX RFCs? Idle versus inactive terminology? (part of draft-ietf-bmwg-ipflow-meth-09 review)

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Tue, 10 April 2012 11:19 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 13:19:38 +0200
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Cc: Ron Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>, Al Morton <acmorton@att.com>, "ipfix@ietf.org" <ipfix@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPFIX] No active/inactive timeout definitions in any IPFIX RFCs? Idle versus inactive terminology? (part of draft-ietf-bmwg-ipflow-meth-09 review)

Hi, Benoit, all,

Active and idle timeout are essentially Metering Process implementation-specific parameters. I suspect most MPs dealing with flows will have _something_ that looks like an active timeout, and something that looks like an idle or inactive timeout, regardless of what they call them. Exactly how active and idle timeouts are implemented, and the effect they have on the duration and export order of exported flows, probably isn't a protocol matter. So I'm not sure how specifically defined they need to be.

"Active" seems to be "active" everywhere. The choice of picking idle or inactive would seem then to be arbitrary. Given that 5102 predates all other (directly-IPFIX-related) references, and there's an IE in the IANA registry called flowIdleTimeout, I'd tend to go with "idle" for this one.

As to _where_ and _how_ to define these, I don't know, and as little as possible.

Cheers,

Brian