[ipfix] AD review for: draft-ietf-ipfix-as-06.txt

"Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com> Fri, 17 March 2006 17:41 UTC

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <bwijnen@lucent.com>
To: "'Ipfix Wg' (E-mail) (E-mail)" <ipfix@net.doit.wisc.edu>
Cc: "Dan Romascanu (E-mail)" <dromasca@avaya.com>, "David Kessens (E-mail)" <david.kessens@nokia.com>
Subject: [ipfix] AD review for: draft-ietf-ipfix-as-06.txt
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 18:33:48 +0100
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Sorry for the long delay.

Overall question:

  Is this a document to describe realistic applicability of IPFIX,

  or

  Is it more of a marketing or promitional document to try and
  push itinto all sorts of existing systems?

This is the first time I read this document, and I did find myself
wondering several times if I was reading promotional material to
convince me of all sorts of places where I could go use this.
In many scenarios it would mean extending the Information Model,
so it is not as if it would be a no-effort activity.

As an AD I woner if the other groups have all looked at the
scenarios that would touch or interact on their turf so to speak.
Like has WGs like IPPM, AAA, IDMEF, RMONMIB, RTP etc looked at this?
It seems there might be quite a set of questions from there.

And then there is the question if operators really want IPFIX to
be interacting/integrating with all these other areas. Maybe they
do. Have you (WG) proof of that or expressions of support from
operators?

So I am not yet how to move ahead with this one.
It is targeted for Informational, so we have some leverage.
But I'd like to have some answers on the above first.

Meanwhile, below are some nits to look at:

- IPv4 sample addresses should be from the range 192.0.2.0/24 as
  per RFC3330. So you better update the addresses on page 6.

- the last sentence on page 7 spaking about PSAMP seems
  a bit out of place in the middle of a discussion of
  using IPFIX for IDS.

- citation/reference issues
  those with a - in the middle might be OK, my tool does not (yet)
  recognize linebreak at such points.

  !! Missing citation for Informative reference:
  P021 L046:     [DuGr00]      Nick Duffield, Matthias Grossglauser, "Trajectory

  !! Missing citation for Informative reference:
  P021 L051:     [GrDM98]      Ian D. Graham, Stephen F. Donnelly, Stele Martin,

  !! Missing Reference for citation: [PSAMP-FM]
  P018 L012:     requirements in [PSAMP-FM] that directly affect the export

  !! Missing Reference for citation: [PSAMP-PROTOCOL]
  P018 L013:     protocol. In [PSAMP-PROTOCOL] the requirements have been

  !! Missing citation for Informative reference:
  P022 L012:     [PSAMP-FW]    Nick Duffield (Ed.), "A Framework for Packet

  !! Missing citation for Informative reference:
  P022 L051:     [RFC3577]     S. Waldbusser, R. Cole, C. Kalbfleisch,

Bert

--
Help        mailto:majordomo@net.doit.wisc.edu and say "help" in message body