RE: [ipfix-req] does raqmon-pdu compete with ipfix?

"MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <jeff.meyer2@hp.com> Sat, 18 January 2003 01:14 UTC

From: "MEYER,JEFFREY D (HP-Cupertino,ex1)" <jeff.meyer2@hp.com>
To: "'carter@qosient.com'" <carter@qosient.com>, ipfix-req@net.doit.wisc.edu
Subject: RE: [ipfix-req] does raqmon-pdu compete with ipfix?
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:57:04 -0500
Sender: majordomo listserver <majordomo@mil.doit.wisc.edu>

Hi,

  Further examining RAQMon, it looks like an interesting approach
to address the collection of a certain limited set of flow
information from end devices (vs. IPFIX which is more targeted
at routers, probes, middleboxes).

  It is based on an essentially fixed data model containing
28 different attributes.  Several of these attributes are
particularly focused on QoS aspects of various streaming
protocols, other attributes provide system level statistics
such as CPU utilization.  The attribute set is incomplete
compared to that defined in IPFIX requirements.

  It also only specifies mappings onto non-congestion aware
protocols today.  Although one could picture mapping it to something
like BEEP (RFC 3080).

  It clearly states that loss of information is a property
of the current spec (framework sec. 2.4 bullet #6).

  Although it claims an extension framework, this basically
consists of specifying a different header, which indicates
the subsequent encoding of the payload is "interpreted by
the application and not by RRC itself."  (Hmmm not a lot
of guidance there).  [see PDU sec. 4.3]

  Given their design center, which appears to be device
centric QoS reporting, with a focus on streaming, this UDP based,
fixed set of information may address a need different than
IPFIX, i.e. a dirt simple UDP packet that an app can blast
at a collector, when it has some info to share.

  However, RAQMon clearly is incomplete in addressing IPFIX.

Regards,

  Jeff Meyer

pdu-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-rmonmib-raqmon-pdu-00.txt".

http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html

Send a message to:
	mailserv@ietf.org.
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-rmonmib-raqmon-pdu-00.txt".

NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers
	how to manipulate these messages.

Internet-Draft.

--