[ippm] Consensus on draft adoption as WG items

Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Mon, 08 April 2013 09:29 UTC

From: Brian Trammell <trammell@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 21:29:28 +1200
To: "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: [ippm] Consensus on draft adoption as WG items

Greetings, all,

Given the response to the consensus call for document adoption, here's where we see consensus on the next milestones for the IPPM working group:

(1) draft-morton-ippm-2330-update-01
Mon Year - Submit draft of RFC 2330bis (Framework update)
         to IESG as Proposed Standard

Clear support for adoption, with pledges for reviews and contributions.

(2) draft-morton-ippm-2679-bis-01
Mon Year - Submit draft of RFC 2679bis (One-Way Delay update)
         to IESG as Proposed Standard

Mixed support for adoption, with at least one pledge for review and contribution.

(3) draft-morton-ippm-2680-bis-00
Mon Year - Submit draft of RFC 2680bis (One-Way Loss update)
         to IESG as Proposed Standard

Mixed support for adoption, with at least one pledge for review and contribution.

(4) draft-morton-ippm-lmap-path-01
Mon Year - Submit draft on reference path for measurement location
         to IESG as Proposed Standard

Clear support for adoption, with pledges for reviews and contributions, and a
suggestion that the WG may consider folding this into -2330-update.

(5) draft-mathis-ippm-model-based-metrics-01
Mon Year - Submit draft on model-based TCP bulk transfer capacity metrics
         to IESG as Experimental

Clear support for adoption (with correction of intended status to
Experimental), with pledges for reviews and contributions.

(6) draft-ko-ippm-streaming-performance-00
Mon Year - Submit draft on model-based streaming performance metrics
         to IESG as Informational

Mixed support for adoption, with correction of intended status and
indication that the document needs to mature a bit.

(7) draft-bi-ippm-ipsec-01
Mon Year - Submit draft on OWAMP / TWAMP Security to IESG as Proposed Standard

Clear support for adoption, with indication that the document needs some work
within the WG.

(8) draft-bagnulo-ippm-new-registry-00, draft-bagnulo-ippm-new-registry-independent-00
Mon Year - Submit draft on metrics registry to IESG as Proposed Standard

Mixed support for adoption, with indication that the document should be
discussed and developed further before adoption.

Given this, we propose that we adopt the following drafts as the next set of milestones:

draft-morton-ippm-2330-update
draft-morton-ippm-lmap-path
draft-mathis-ippm-model-based-metrics
draft-bi-ippm-ipsec

Given that draft-morton-ippm-2679-bis and draft-morton-ippm-2680-bis may depend on 2330-update, they should be developed in parallel with it, and considered for adoption as it nears completion.

The remaining drafts are all clearly in scope for the new charter, so please continue developing them, with discussion on the list as necessary. Specifically, the new registry drafts should be unified into a single approach, and adopted following further development.

After consulting with the authors, we suggest the following milestones for existing WG drafts:

Jul 2013 - Submit draft on RFC 2680 standards-track advancement testing to IESG as Informational
Dec 2013 - Submit draft on access rate measurement protocol problem statement to IESG as Informational

I'd suggest the following milestones for the new drafts; authors, please respond if these are not realistic:

Dec 2013 - Submit draft updating the IPPM Framework (2330-update) to IESG as Proposed Standard
Dec 2013 - Submit draft on reference path for measurement location to IESG as Proposed Standard
Mar 2014 - Submit draft on model-based TCP bulk transfer capacity metrics to IESG as Experimental
Mar 2014 - Submit draft on OWAMP / TWAMP Security to IESG as Proposed Standard

Please be prompt with any comments on this proposal; we'd like to hand the proposed charter and milestones up to our AD this week.

Best regards,

Brian and Bill