"Money for nothing..." -

"todd glassey" <tglassey@earthlink.net> Wed, 28 March 2007 15:58 UTC

From: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>
To: todd glassey <tglassey@earthlink.net>, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, ipr-wg@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 08:58:36 -0700
Subject: "Money for nothing..." -

Guys - I think that the current IETF submission process is still flawed in
that it requires that any and all submissions to the IETF for participation
in its Standards Process become the property of the IETF formally for 'any
and all uses' whether the IETF dynes to allow that material into its
publication process or not and this is an issue.

Under contract law and contract must have proper consideration. If the IETF
refuses to allow proper consideration/compensation for a submission, then
that submission becomes a gift and the cash value of the gift immediately
becomes an issue.

Also if the Intent of the submitter is to have the IETF publish the material
and it doesn't, then the intent of the submission has been violated and as
such the conveyance is null and void no matter what the IETF's website's
boilerplate says. Contract Terms are clearly modified by the actions of the
parties involved whether these contravene terms originally negotiated within
the 'four corners' of the contract per the Parole Evidence Rule and the
Statute of Frauds.

Which again brings us back to the value of the IP itself and that any and
all work-product produced for filing with the IETF or inside the IETF's WG's
or by other SDO's as part of a joint effort, has a clear and demonstrable
cash value. The question is what to do about this - and whether the IETF
(and the Trust)  is/are properly setup as a 501(c) type entities.

Todd