RE: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-05.txt

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Thu, 27 June 2013 04:23 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 00:15:21 -0400
Subject: RE: Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-bradner-rfc3979bis-05.txt
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "ipr-wg@ietf.org" <ipr-wg@ietf.org>

> > Looking at the diffs, the new version still seems not quite right to
> > me. There was wording introduced in the -04 version that is still in
> > the new revision. Specifically:
> >
> >>    k. "Participating in an IETF discussion or activity": means making a
> >>       Contribution, as described above, or in any other way acting in
> >>       order to influence the outcome of a discussion relating to the
> >>       IETF Standards Process.  Without limiting the generality of the
> >>       foregoing, participating in any part of a session at a live IETF
> >>       meeting is deemed to mean participating in the entire session.
> >
> > Per discussion we had since Orlando, I don't think we don't want to
> > say or imply that participating in one part of a meeting automatically
> > implies participating "in the entire session".
>
> That's fair comment, but who decides where to draw the line? "In the
> entire session" is about the only fully objective criterion. Alternatives
> such as "participating in part of the discussion of a given topic...
> is deemed to mean participating in all discussion of that topic" seem
> to be too elastic to be much use (or would at any rate be something
> to be argued over during litigation).

Uhm - "in any other way acting in order to influence" is not objective.
Having the session scope be objective does not result in a fully objective
criterion, so I'd just drop the "Without limiting ..." sentence.

> > Another way to look at it, it seems to me that the real obligation is
> > already (and has been) well defined in 5.1.1 A:
> >
> >>  A. Any Contributor who reasonably and personally knows of IPR meeting
> >>       the conditions of Section 5.6 which the Contributor believes
> >>       Covers or may ultimately Cover his or her written Contribution
> >>       (other than a Contribution that is not intended to be used as an
> >>       input into the IETF Standards Process), or which the Contributor
> >>       reasonably and personally knows his or her employer or sponsor may
> >>       assert against Implementing Technologies based on such written
> >>       Contribution, must make a disclosure in accordance with this
> >>       Section 5.
> >
> > Why is the above not sufficient?

It's limited to written contributions.  The k text above also covers influencing
discussions.

Thanks,
--David