RE: [Ips] AD review of draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-nodearch-key-02

Black_David@emc.com Mon, 16 October 2006 14:45 UTC

From: Black_David@emc.com
Subject: RE: [Ips] AD review of draft-ietf-ips-iscsi-nodearch-key-02
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:45:01 -0400
To: Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com, lars.eggert@netlab.nec.de
Cc: ips@ietf.org

Julian and Lars,

We could get clever here.  The crucial language in RFC 3720 says:

	For IANA registered keys the string following X# must be
registered
	with IANA and the use of the key MUST be described by an
informational RFC.

and there's similar language for Y# digest formats and Z# authentication
methods.

Given the level of review this draft has received (not only on the list,
but also in Montreal, I put crucial pieces of this draft's text on the
projector for word-by-word review), I don't think there would be any
problem with this draft becoming a proposed standard RFC, and it could
then update RFC 3720 to change "informational RFC" to "informational,
experimental or standards track RFC" in all three places.

I would want to issue a WG Last Call on these changes (publish
nodearch-key as proposed, standard, update RFC 3720 to allow
experimental
and standards-track RFCs for X# keys, Y# digests, and Z# authentication
methods), so that there is an adequate opportunity for anyone to object.

Comments?

Thanks,
--David (ips WG chair)
David L. Black, Senior Technologist
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
black_david@emc.com        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754