Re: IPS security draft: SRP groups

Tom Wu <tom@arcot.com> Mon, 08 July 2002 05:02 UTC

Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2002 21:22:32 -0700
From: Tom Wu <tom@arcot.com>
To: Black_David@emc.com
CC: ips@ece.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: IPS security draft: SRP groups
Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

David,

I'll tackle the SRP generator issue:

For the Oakley Group 2 (1024 bit prime) defined in RFC2412:
Primitive roots (acceptable as SRP generators):
5,11,13,19,29,31
Subgroup generators (NOT acceptable):
2,3,7,17,23

(MODP moduli taken from draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-modp-groups-04.txt)
For the 1536-bit MODP group:
Acceptable generators:
31
NOT acceptable generators:
2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23,29

For the 2048-bit MODP group:
Acceptable generators:
11,13,17,23,29,31
NOT acceptable generators:
2,3,5,7,19

For the 3072-bit MODP group:
Acceptable generators:
5,7,17,23,31
NOT acceptable generators:
2,3,11,13,19,29

For the 4096-bit MODP group:
Acceptable generators:
5,13,29,31
NOT acceptable generators:
2,3,7,11,17,19,23

For the 6144-bit MODP group:
Acceptable generators:
5,11,13,17,23,29
NOT acceptable generators:
2,3,7,19,31

For the 8192-bit MODP group:
Acceptable generators:
19,23,29,31
NOT acceptable generators:
2,3,5,7,11,13,17

All the above generators are in base 10 (decimal).

As far as proving the primality of the SRP moduli, that should be done
by someone with more expertise in the area.  I should point out that
those moduli are also "safe primes", i.e. both N and (N-1)/2 are prime,
so it is easy to find generators for them, and I chose numbers that had
2 as safe SRP generators.

Tom

Black_David@emc.com wrote:
> Missed this earlier, sorry ...
>

>>Ok.  I didn't know that but I probably would have learned it if I had
>>done the necessary reading about groups and generators.  But the point
>>of my question wasn't "is it possible to compute g" but rather "how
>>about supplying g in the spec" (since the g=2 from IKE is not
>>appropriate).   It seems a bit redundant for everyone to repeat the
>>search for a suitable g...
>>
>>So what's the story about unlisted groups?  Is an implementation that
>>accepts only the groups listed in appendix A, but not any "locally
>>generated" ones, a compliant implementation?
>>

> Yes - accepting those groups and only those groups is the minimum
> (MUST) requirement.  If the IKE groups are to remain allowed, we
> need to specify generators for their use with SRP - please consider
> this to be a serious *PLEA* for someone to volunteer to do the
> crpto-theoretic number crunching needed to find SRP generators for
> those groups and/or prove the primality of the SRP primes.  Lack of
> progress here has the potential to hold up the security draft on
> which *all* of our protocol drafts depend (normative references).
> We can promise at least 30 minutes of fame (*twice* the proverbial
> 15 ;-) ) to those who resolve this issue ...
>
> Thanks,
> --David
> David L. Black, Senior Technologist
> EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
> +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018
> black_david@emc.com       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

Tom Wu
Principal Software Engineer
Arcot Systems