Re: [IPsec] Beginning the PAKE selection process

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Mon, 24 May 2010 21:07 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 14:07:13 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: IPsecme WG <ipsec@ietf.org>, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Beginning the PAKE selection process

  Yaron,

  This is out-of-line. We had discussions on expanding the charter
to include this as a work item and there was sufficient support in
the WG to add it. At the time you argued against it and suggested that
EAP-only was satisfactory. Now that EAP-only has finished WGLC you
now want to revisit killing this work item? I object.

  For reasons that were not apparent (to me at least), the new charter
said that the only draft specifying EAP-only was to be used as a
starting point for the EAP-only work item but the only draft specifying
how to solve the secure PSK work item was not. So the only reason this
"overwhelming silence" didn't greet EAP-only was because this entire step
was short circuited. There wasn't any discussion of EAP-only once it
became work item-- perusing the list shows a whopping zero posts (!) on
it between announcement of the -00 version and the start of WGLC (on the
-02 version)-- yet no one called for its removal.

  I apologize for the tardiness of my post kicking off discussion on my
candidate proposal but I was traveling for the past week-and-a-half and
was otherwise indisposed. Hopefully this will start a discussion but if
it doesn't then I would expect the same treatment of this work item as
that given to EAP-only.

  You seem to alternate wearing your co-chairman's hat or not depending
on what particular tactic you are employing but your strategy remains
the same. I respectfully request that, when it comes to this work item,
you decide whether to wear your WG co-chairman's hat or not and then
stick to it.

  regards,

  Dan.