Re: Please save the pre-shared key mode

Ricky Charlet <rcharlet@redcreek.com> Sat, 08 December 2001 00:56 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 16:31:07 -0800
From: Ricky Charlet <rcharlet@redcreek.com>
To: Jan Vilhuber <vilhuber@cisco.com>
CC: ipsec@lists.tislabs.com
Subject: Re: Please save the pre-shared key mode
Sender: owner-ipsec@lists.tislabs.com

Jan Vilhuber wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Ricky Charlet wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> >       I'm moving my position from 'in favor' to 'neutral' on saving a
> > pre-shared key authentication mode. Its not PSK itself or even current
> > look alike PSK functionality I'd like to see saved. There is a new
> > feature I want to see added and that is interaction with legacy
> > authentication systems in support of remote access users ala
> > draft-ietf-ipsra-reqmts-04.txt.
>
> But then we should close down IPSRA, shouldn't we? Either we have IPSRA to
> take care of remote-access legacy methods, or we cancel that WG and fold the
> requirements back into the IPsec WG...
>
> jan
>  --
> Jan Vilhuber                                            vilhuber@cisco.com
> Cisco Systems, San Jose                                     (408) 527-0847

	Let the consequenses be what they may. Does our working group have the
will to include IPSRA requirements into second generation IKE directly?
I hope so.

	(personally, I believe that IPSRA is close enough to finishing and the
second generation IKE debate is new enough that we could get fielded
implementations of PIC+IKEv1 which could inform our development of
second generation IKE protocols).

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  Ricky Charlet   : SonicWall Inc.   : usa (510) 497-2103