Re: [IPsec] Failure detection proposals, stage 2

Dacheng Zhang <zhangdacheng@huawei.com> Mon, 16 August 2010 10:31 UTC

Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 18:31:58 +0800
From: Dacheng Zhang <zhangdacheng@huawei.com>
To: 'Yaron Sheffer' <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>, 'IPsecme WG' <ipsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Failure detection proposals, stage 2

Hi,

I think both solutions are very interesting. But after carefully
consideration, I prefer to support QCD.

Firstly, compared to SIR, the QCD solution is simpler. It can use fewer
packets to achieve the objective, because a peer can verify the token
directly after receiving an INVALID_SPI packet.

Secondly, in SIR, a peer has to wait for a certain period to ensure that it
did not get a CHECK_SPI (NACK) packet from an attacker. This solution seems
relatively ineffective and low efficient. (According to the draft, the
period should be a least a few m-seconds. However, I don’t think it is long
enough.

It is just my humble opinion.

--Dacheng