Re: [IPsec] Traffic visibility - consensus call

Min Huang <huangmin@huaweisymantec.com> Mon, 11 January 2010 06:38 UTC

From: Min Huang <huangmin@huaweisymantec.com>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@checkpoint.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:37:48 +0800
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Traffic visibility - consensus call

YES  to both.

The WESP header provides a kind of rapid *deterministic* detection method
for ESP_NULL packet. The heuristics method is too complex and it calls for
more computing resource and computing time. I doubt the middle box whether
will support the heuristics method  for ESP_NULL detection. Although
including the WESP header into ESP ICV calculation seems modifying ESP, it
is necessary to check the WESP header integrity for counter certain attacks.
The explicit  WESP integrity calculation is OK for me, too.

I support WESP for encrypted ESP flow.  WESP has the capacity to provide
more functions by future extensibility than just traffic visibility for
ESP_NULL. Nowadays ESP is used much more widely for encrypted flow than
ESP_NULL flow. It is meaningful for middle detection machines to have the
ability to detecting encrypted traffic.  And then WESP could provide this
kind of traffic visibility for both encrypted flow and unencrypted flow in
future.

regards,
Min