Re: [IPsec] Proposed work item: IKEv2 password authentication (SPSK) - NO

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Wed, 02 December 2009 19:12 UTC

Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:12:09 -0800
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf@checkpoint.com>
Cc: "ipsec@ietf.org" <ipsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Proposed work item: IKEv2 password authentication (SPSK) - NO

  Hi Yaron,

  The technology underlying SPSK is not patented, EKE, SRP and PAK
are all patented. Patents are a drag.

  In addition, EKE has the additional problem that it requires
specialized MODP groups-- it can't use the ones in the IKE registry--
and I don't believe it can be used with elliptic curve groups at all.
SPSK can use any MODP or ECP group in the registry, just like IKE.
SPSK is a natural fit.

  The technology underlying SPSK was published outside the IETF.
Check out the references in the draft. It is being reviewed in the
academic community right now. I'm sorry you don't don't feel that
the IETF/IRTF has the expertise to do crypto but, once again, I
disagree.

  Dan.