Re: 6MAN WG Adoption Call: draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Fri, 17 April 2015 17:36 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 10:36:37 -0700
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@google.com>, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: 6MAN WG Adoption Call: draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01
Cc: 6man Chairs <6man-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, IPv6 List <ipv6@ietf.org>

[Sorry for the duplicate - corrected the from address]

On 4/16/15 11:09 PM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 12:34 AM, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com
> <mailto:bob.hinden@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>           Title           : IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Optional Unicast
>     RS/RA Refresh
>             Authors         : Erik Nordmark
>                               Andrew Yourtchenko
>                               Suresh Krishnan
>

> I oppose adoption of the document as it stands.
>
> I believe that document cannot meet its stated goal of "allow the
> operator to choose whether unicast RS refresh is more efficient than
> periodic multicast RAs, while preserving the timely and scalable
> reconfiguration capabilities that a periodic RA model provides" in the
> presence of legacy hosts that do not support this specification.
>
> The reason is as follows: as noted in section 8.2, in the presence of
> hosts that do not support this specification, routers must send
> periodic Router Advertisements, otherwise the "timely and scalable
> reconfiguration capabilities" cannot be maintained. This mode provides
> no power savings over the status quo.
Lorenzo,

I think you must be making some unstated assumptions in coming to that
conclusion, because it does not match my conclusion.

This specification allows a host to go to sleep and turn of its radio,
which includes not being awoken by any multicast RA, and when it wakes
up it can send a RS to refresh the information that might have changed
while it was asleep. That provides power savings for that host.

> The document says that the network can operate in a mode where
> multicast RAs are suppressed if it is known that all hosts on the link
> support the specification. However:
>
>  1. It is impossible to know with certainty when a legacy node has
>     joined the network. If a legacy host's three initial Router
>     Solicitations are missed, then that host will never again send an
>     RA, and will never get IPv6 connectivity unless it disconnects and
>     reconnects. In contrast, today the node will get IPv6 connectivity
>     as soon as it receives a periodic RA.

As I pointed out in some earlier email, a host which is subject to
packet loss so that the initial RAs are lost does not see any useful
service. Your "as soon as" is currently as bad as 30 minutes (and
separate discussions about MaxRtrAdvInterval might increase this to 6
hours). I don't know which host will wait for that long. Thus I don't
think you can claim that legacy hosts work under such packet loss
conditions.

Regards,
     Erik