Re: 6MAN WG Adoption Call: draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Thu, 23 April 2015 21:55 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 14:55:15 -0700
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@google.com>
Subject: Re: 6MAN WG Adoption Call: draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-01
Cc: 6man Chairs <6man-chairs@tools.ietf.org>, IPv6 List <ipv6@ietf.org>, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>

On 4/22/15 7:27 AM, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 2:10 AM, Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org
> <mailto:nordmark@acm.org>> wrote:
>
>         I think the root of my objections to this draft is that it
>         proposes what is in effect a substantial change to the current
>         configuration model in IPv6 networks without saying so explicitly.
>
>         Currently, we have an easy-to understand, easy-to-reason-about
>         model: periodic RAs periodically notify everyone on link of
>         the current configuration information, and nodes that don't
>         want to wait for such periodic configuration information can
>         solicit said information by sending a request.
>

>     Lorenzo,
>     which RFC states "nodes that don't want to wait for such periodic
>     configuration information can solicit said information by sending
>     a request"?
>     AFAIK that isn't allowed. If you do that you would be violating
>     this MUST in RFC 4861:
>        Once the host sends a Router Solicitation, and receives a valid
>        Router Advertisement with a non-zero Router Lifetime, the host MUST
>        desist from sending additional solicitations on that interface,
>     until
>        the next time one of the above events occurs.
>

> As I said in my other reply, I think the event that occurs here is
> "The host re-attaches to a link after being detached for some time."
> To me, if you can't receive packets, you're arguably not attached.

Lorenzo,

If you re-read your own text above you'll find that is says "nodes that
don't want to wait for such periodic ..." and I was responding to that
statement
because it seems incorrect. So I think you need some more work on your
description of existing model that you you claim is easy to understand
and easy to reason about, since you don't seem to be able to describe it
correctly.

If you want to fold in DNA aspects (re-attaching to a link - possibly
the same or different) as you are trying to, then I suspect your model
description will need more work. Might be better to write an internet
draft instead of doing this back and forth over email. That would also
ensure that we can get a permanent record of the model.

But might not be as easy to understand and reason about as you claim.

Regards,
    Erik