RE: Consensus call on adopting:draft-krishnan-6man-rs-mark-06.txt

"Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shemant@cisco.com> Fri, 20 August 2010 21:33 UTC

Subject: RE: Consensus call on adopting:draft-krishnan-6man-rs-mark-06.txt
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:33:50 -0500
From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shemant@cisco.com>
To: Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan@ericsson.com>

Suresh,

AN
>> has enough information to de-multiplex the tunneled RA to the
individual
>> home. I have cced Ashok in this email to keep me honest.
>>
>> If existing tunneling mechanisms work, why do we need any of the
>> draft-gundavelli-v6ops-l2-unicast or this document in the IETF?  If
DSL
>> folks really want such existing IPv6 mechanisms specified, one could
do
>> so in the DSL standards bodies.

>The mechanism specified in this document requires allocation of a
>destination option and it can be allocated one only through standards
>action. So, while the mechanism has been specified in the BBF specs
>already, the option to be used has not been allocated.

Sorry, you missed my point.  Your document proposes this text in section
5.1:

[It MUST also insert the hardware address of the client (from the source
hardware address of the RS) into the client hardware address field of
the option.]

However if you see my email above, if the DSL Forum decides to have the
AN create a new hardware (or mac-addr) address for the client, then the
text above from your document has to change.  The reason for the change
is because now the AN does NOT copy the hardware address from the src of
the RS but instead creates a new one and copies the new one into the
client hardware address field of the LIO.  Such new creation of a client
hardware address means the AN will have to maintain a hardware address
translation table (HAT).

Hemant