Re: New Version Notification for draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-05.txt

Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> Thu, 27 February 2014 21:08 UTC

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:08:27 +0100
From: Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>
To: 神明達哉 <jinmei@wide.ad.jp>
Subject: Re: New Version Notification for draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-05.txt
Cc: IETF IPv6 <ipv6@ietf.org>

Jinmei,

thanks for reviewing the updated draft.

On 2/27/14 7:28 PM, 神明達哉 wrote:
> At Fri, 14 Feb 2014 23:03:56 -0800,
> Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Samita has already outlined some of the changes we have been making
>> based on the feedback from the list.
> Was this point addressed in 05?
>
>>> Clarify bootstrapping and DAD for link-local or not How to inform duplicate address detection during link-local address formation
Not very well it seems. We discovered shortly before the draft cutoff
that the 6lowpan-nd approach to handling link-locals doesn't make any
sense in this broader applicability.
Hence we added how to handle link-locals to the open issues section.

But we seemed to not have edited the rest of the draft correctly around
DAD, including the bootstrapping section.
As the draft currently stands DAD for link-locals is (or "can be" given
the lack of editorial clarity) replaced by NS/ARO. But address
resolution for link-local targets needs to be done for using multicast NS.

One of the discussion on list is how to avoid the latter, with
suggestions to add the ability to have RAs state that link-locals should
be sent to routers. That might make sense in some deployments (when
hosts do not depend on protocols with have a ttl=255 check).

    Erik