Re: To DAD or not to DAD?

Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com> Sat, 28 February 2015 12:38 UTC

Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 23:35:23 +1100
Subject: Re: To DAD or not to DAD?
From: Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com>
To: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shemant@cisco.com>, Erik Nordmark <nordmark@acm.org>, "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>

Hemant, Erik,

I will confess that I just don’t understand the cable modem scenario the
way you and the author understand it and that could be a flaw in my
understanding or due to different deployment models. I’ll leave the link
up indication aside, I’m not aware of cable modem deployments that act as
bridges where the upstream router (default router for every host on the
home network assuming a single link deployment), will share a prefix
across two homes for example. That is the only case where that modem’s
failure to connect to the ISP’s upstream router can cause issues when the
connection is established later.

In this simple case:

H1 <——————---->
             |   Modem <————>   ISP’s router
H2 <—————----->

If the modem is an L2 device and it shows a link up to H1 and H2 when its
link with the ISP’s router is down, I fail to see how this will have a
negative impact on DAD if that ISP’s router is dedicating a separate
prefix for each “home”/“office” or whatever concrete container is built
around H1 and H2.

I think I’ll just wait to see solutions or further discussion to
understand why this scenario is : 1) causing problems and 2) will be
solved by having reliable DAD.

I’m not talking about fragmented networks that are joined as a generic
case (I think that’s a clear problem in the general case), I am talking
about the above scenario because it came up several times in the
discussion. To me that link is not up and when it’s up H1 and H2 will
configure new addresses which they only need to check against each other.
Of course if that modem is a router, then it’s still the same situation
until it gets configured with a prefix.

Hesham