RE: [v6ops] Combining IPv6 ND and DHCPv6 into a single, unified function

"Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com> Wed, 22 November 2017 15:52 UTC

From: "Templin, Fred L" <Fred.L.Templin@boeing.com>
To: Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo@google.com>
CC: "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>, "v6ops@ietf.org" <v6ops@ietf.org>, "dhcwg@ietf.org" <dhcwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [v6ops] Combining IPv6 ND and DHCPv6 into a single, unified function
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2017 15:52:21 +0000
x-originating-ip: [137.136.248.6]

Hi Lorenzo,

I respect your taking the time to post this useful critique, and expect that others
with a deeper background in the DHCPv6 architecture would want to respond in
detail. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

For myself, In my environment I have mobile node clients with many routers
on the link – each of which implements the DHCPv6 relay and/or server. The
link is NBMA, meaning that multicast is not supported natively, so that the
client has to send the DHCPv6 Solicit to one or a couple of routers via LL
multicast to L2 unicast mapping. The client gets the exact same service
regardless of which router or routers it picks.

As long as the client remains on the link, it can continue to maintain the
prefix delegations it has received from its routers, and can even change to
a different set of routers if it thinks that would give better service. This is
true even if the client’s L2 addresses change, which is signaled by sending
unsolicited NAs to the routers the same as specified in RFC4861.

Again, this is just what I am doing in my environment and it gives a very
satisfactory service. What my draft is proposing is a unification of IPv6 ND
and DHCPv6 to give the best functions of both stateless and stateful
auconfiguration in a single unified package. And, if DHCPv6 would not
be suitable for supporting the stateful function, then we would have to
define something new that is.

Thanks - Fred