Re: draft-baker-6man-multiprefix-default-route-00.txt is a newdraft

Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no> Mon, 12 November 2007 16:27 UTC

Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:27:00 +0100
To: fred@cisco.com
From: Havard Eidnes <he@uninett.no>
Cc: marcelo@it.uc3m.es, ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Re: draft-baker-6man-multiprefix-default-route-00.txt is a newdraft

> > AFAIU, you are essentially proposing to perform source address
> > based routing by the hosts and by the routers in a multiprefix
> > site, is that correct?
>
> I don't like the term, because I first do a destination lookup and
> only look up the source address in certain cases. Kind of like the
> previous comment on source routing, which in IEEE 802.5, DSR, and RFC
> 791 IP means that the source specifies all or part of the routing
> path. I think the term mis-states the case.
>
> But yes, in certain cases where there is a multipath route, the point
> is that if the datagram is handed to the wrong ISP and the ISP is
> doing ingress filtering, the datagram will be dropped, and hence I
> suggest that we direct it toward the right ISP.

But still, you appear to propose to fundamentally change the
forwarding process by inserting a relatively complex lookup
operation into per-packet forwarding, and I think such a change
needs quite a bit more in terms of justification.

Instead, my inclination would be to "solve" this problem in a
much simpler manner, simply by declaring it a configuration
error.  A site which receives prefixes from more than a single
provider is clearly multihomed, and needs to have its providers
make appropriate exceptions to a strict "I will only accept
packets with source addresses from within the prefix I delegate"
rule.  Either that, or the domain in question needs to ensure via
a combination of address selection and routing policy that one
avoids being subjected to (presumably unwanted) RPF failures.

Regards,

- Håvard