Re: Apology

Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org> Mon, 25 February 2019 08:37 UTC

Subject: Re: Apology
From: Ole Troan <otroan@employees.org>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 09:37:35 +0100
Cc: 6man WG <ipv6@ietf.org>
To: Lee Howard <lee@asgard.org>

Dear Lee,

No apology needed. Thank you, and accepted (of course).

You do bring up some valid points though and conflict triggers soul searching.
For myself, I have taken it for granted that it is obvious when I express my views as a WG participant, and when I do it as a chair.
To clarify, the protocol I follow: By default I act as an individual working group participants. Communication as a chair should be signed with that, and typically comes from both Bob and me. This is similar to the case in live meetings where we join the floor microphone queue, instead of talking from the podium.

See also https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2418#section-6.1

I think it would be very unfortunate if the chairs could not participate in the work of the working group, but were relegated to a pure management/administrative role.

There is of course an area of conflict where a chair’s personal view, conflicts with the consensus position of the working group. I hope you still trust that between the chairs and our AD, that we manage to do the right thing.

6man is a long lived working group, tasked with maintaining the IPv6 specifications. That’s different from the typical IETF working group. Perhaps it is time to have a wider debate about how the working group should function and what it’s role should be.

Best regards,
Ole