Re: [Isis-wg] New Layer2 extensions to ISIS - thorough review will be required

"Fedyk, Donald (Don)" <donald.fedyk@alcatel-lucent.com> Mon, 26 April 2010 13:13 UTC

From: "Fedyk, Donald (Don)" <donald.fedyk@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: David Allan I <david.i.allan@ericsson.com>, David Ward <dward@juniper.net>, isis-wg <isis-wg@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 08:11:38 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Christian Hopps <chopps@rawdofmt.org>, Adrian Farrel <Adrian.Farrel@huawei.com>, Ralph Droms <rdroms@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Isis-wg] New Layer2 extensions to ISIS - thorough review will be required

I agree with Dave Allan.

This work did not start overnight for 802.1aq and TRILL.
We were asked to put 802.1 and TRILL together and it turns out we are orthogonal. While there is a little bit of sharing of top level TLVs our content is different. The value of having them in one draft is we can see this, however to date I doubt it has made the draft any more readable. It is sad to say we only realized that OTV was in there when comparing notes in draft 3. The only thing the technologies share is the desire to carry MAC addresses. To review the draft it must be readable so I don't see it as simply a nit.

>From and 802.1aq standpoint we are happy with no new PDUs.  IS-IS carries multiple address families to date, a capability that we wanted to leverage.

Regards,
Don