Re: [geonet/its] RG vs. WG (was: Agenda for the GeoNet informal meeting on 23rd July at 20:30; IETF registration desk)

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 31 July 2014 10:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:16:21 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: "Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri)" <dimitri.papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.com>, "karagian@cs.utwente.nl" <karagian@cs.utwente.nl>, "its@ietf.org" <its@ietf.org>
Cc: "melinda.shore@gmail.com" <melinda.shore@gmail.com>, "lear@cisco.com" <lear@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [geonet/its] RG vs. WG (was: Agenda for the GeoNet informal meeting on 23rd July at 20:30; IETF registration desk)

Le 25/07/2014 19:56, Papadimitriou, Dimitri (Dimitri) a écrit :
[...]
> To this end, moving towards a proposed RG seems to be the more suited
> approach.
>
> Any other opinion ? Thoughts ?

I would like to discuss further this aspect.

There are a number of big unknowns in geonetworking rendering it
researchy.  How many geo-points relate to one IP address, and
vice-versa?  IP forwarding is known through routers but not through
geo-points: which translation could achieve that?  IP is universal, but
geographical coordinates are part of various incompatible geography
systems and projections. Etc.

On another hand, there are number of vehicular industry needs of sending
app-layer IP packets to Routers situated in geographically-determined areas.

And, there are a number of standardized products sending non-IP messages
containing geographical coordinates.  The main reason behind these being
non-IP instead of IP is a fallacy.  That fallacy says that sending IP
messages is not reliable, nor fast enough.

There are a number of advantages in sending IP messages, instead of
non-IP messages, in a vehicular environment: interoperability,
availability of open-source software, tapping in a much larger software
developper base, cheap hardware.

I would like to discuss further along these lines.  What is more WG and
what is more RG?  Thoughts?

Alex

http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-karagiannis-geonet-dissemination-geo-areas-