Re: [geonet/its] Agenda for the GeoNet informal meeting on 23rd July at 20:30; IETF registration desk

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Thu, 31 July 2014 13:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 15:00:03 +0200
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: dickroy@alum.mit.edu, karagian@cs.utwente.nl, its@ietf.org
Cc: melinda.shore@gmail.com, lear@cisco.com
Subject: Re: [geonet/its] Agenda for the GeoNet informal meeting on 23rd July at 20:30; IETF registration desk

Le 29/07/2014 22:56, Richard Roy a écrit :

> All,
>
> With regard to the text in geonet-03.txt, I think the following should be
> considered.
>
> IMHO what is described in that doc is not geo-networking, rather
> geodissemnination of information using IP protocols.  Geo-networking,
> logically, would involve a new networking protocol, including new addressing
> schemes, discovery, and all those other mechanisms IP deals with (and
> possibly more!). That's networking.
>
> What the group seems to be addressing (and it's fine) is how to figure out
> how to get packets from one IP address (where the transmitter is in some geo
> location) to a set of IP addresses located in some other geo-location(s).
> This is better termed "geodissemination of information using IP protocols".
> Naturally, it's the extension of the IP protocols to allow for this that is
> the interesting/challenging work to be done.
>
> As has been pointed out before on this thread, geodissemination could be
> achieved above layer 4 using all the information gathered by the node from
> various sources and all the resources available at the node.

I tend to agree that one important topic is how to get packets from one
IP address to a set of IP addresses located at some other geo-location.

The problem is how to know that at a particular geo-location a
particular IP address is situated.  From this problem, the question is
whether or not a _mapping_ mechanism [IP address, geo-location] is a
sufficient tool to address that problem - be it solved at layer 4 or other.

What do you think - is a mapping mechanism sufficient?

A mapping mechanism could be DNS or other mapping mechanism.

An alternative to a mapping mechanism could be an IP multicast
mechanism: an IP addressable host joins an IP multicast group
ff10::coordinatex:coordinatey which designates an halph-sphere centered
on these coordinates and radius 10meter (an average precision these
days).  Senders send packets to ff10:coordinatex::y and are sure the IP
receivers are in that area.

These mechanisms could be for a use-case I am concerned with in the
electric vehicle ecosystem:

Some Road-Side Units are distributed along a road.  Each RSU has to
announce the location of the nearest C/S (Charging Spot for electric
vehicles).  These RSUs are manageable remotely and the manager needs a
tool to 'flock' (group together) a group of RSUs closest geographically
to one C/S and update only these RSUs with electrical charge
availability at each C/S.

If the management tool had a mapping mechanism, then it could identify
which RSUs are close to a particular C/S, send the geographical
coordinates of that C/S to these particular RSUs, and the RSUs would in
turn broadcast the geographical coordinates of the C/S to the vehicles
passing by.  In this way, the vehicles may plan their route depending on
the electrical charge availability at the nearest C/Ss.

Alex

   The diagram