Re: [ipwave] Fwd: IETF IPWAVE WG - Liaison statement from ITU-T CITS: LS on provision of inputs to the online ITS communication standards database - protocols traffic lights communications

Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com> Mon, 04 October 2021 09:42 UTC

From: Alexandre Petrescu <alexandre.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: IPWAVE WG <its@ietf.org>
Cc: "TSB CITS Secretariat, ITU" <tsbcits@itu.int>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 11:42:30 +0200
Subject: Re: [ipwave] Fwd: IETF IPWAVE WG - Liaison statement from ITU-T CITS: LS on provision of inputs to the online ITS communication standards database - protocols traffic lights communications

I would like to ask the ITU-T CITS whether the protocols for
communication to traffic lights at national level (country-specific) are
relevant for the CITS databse?

These protocols do relate to vehicular networks because the cars are
regulated by traffic lights.

These protocols do have international counterparts (e.g. ISO PRESTO, SAE
J2735, ETSI SPAT-EM) but these international counterparts are much less
deployed.

These protocols often (always?) are transmitted using TCP/IP.

These protocols are not present in the CITS database.  Only NTCIP (used
in USA, SAE J2945/11) is mentioned in the databse.   Maybe these
protocols from other countries should be added:

DIASER: a protocol used to communicate to Traffic Lights controllers.
Used in France. Specified by AFNOR.  Works on hardware platforms from
Lacroix (model Traffy) and Aximum (model Maestro), and probably others.
Works on serial and on UDP/IP.  DIASER is known to work on RS232, TCP
and UDP.  Seen on IPv4; not known on IPv6. SEA is a traffic lights
controller manufacturer in France that produces some, implements DIASER
too.  There are about 10 manufacturers in France (Aximum of Colas,
Fareco of Fayat, Lacroix, SEA, others?), all doing DIASER.  In France,
in addition to DIASER there is also LCR protocol for Traffic Lights.

API WIM 7101: a proprietary API interface used by organisation NEAVIA of
organisation Lacroix in France; it is used to provide access to data of
traffic lights controllers.

IVERA: the IVERA protocol is used in the Netherlands to provide a
manufacturer-independent communication method between traffic control
installations and a control centre. The protocol is also suitable for
communicating with parking management signs and ramp meters (traffic
lights) that regulate traffic entering freeways.

V-Log: the V-Log protocol is a similar protocol to IVERA emerging from
the Netherlands, but with a focus on logging data from traffic control
installations. It's an open standard and free from license fees.

TLEX: Traffic Light EXchange platform (TLEX) is a protocol mentioned in
countries Netherlands and Finland; it is mentioned together with the
acronyms iVRI and IVERA.

MQTT: The generic MQTT protocol has been used at the Tampere Satellite
Site to retrieve traffic light status data over Internet. The
proprietary messages provide traffic light statuses and
remaining-time-green & time-to-green.

OCIT: Open interfaces for connections between central and distributed
components (https://www.ocit.org/en/ocit/interfaces/). Protocol family
used at least in Germany and in the Czech Republic. The OCIT protocols
may be used for communication with Traffic Lights Controllers, with some
implementations from Siemens and from Cross.  Not known whether OCIT
works on IP, and on IPv6.

RSMP: Roadside message protocol originating from Scandinavian countries
(https://rsmp-nordic.org/uk-about-the-protocol/). Its specifications are
maintained on GitHub (there is also a document titled “CEN/TC 278/WG 17
N 207”).

Tipo V: The 'Tipo V' (read 'type V', like in ‘Valencia’, not the number
five) is a protocol used in Spain to communicate to traffic lights
controllers.  The spec number is UNE 135401-5 IN.  It is standardised by
Spanish organisation AENOR. ETRA, at least, implements it.

NTCIP:  In the US a protocol to communicate with Traffic Lights
Controllers. It is on the web at
https://www.ntcip.org/document-numbers-and-status/. It has Internet
specifically (it has profile for it, dated 2001). Further, it may be
implemented by Thales, a French company.

UTMC: In UK there is UTMC protocol to communicate to traffic lights.

The organisation CEREMA in France has a document with a list of
protocols for communication to traffic lights as well.  They should be
cross-checked.

Alex