RE: [L2CP] Revised WG Charter Draft

Knud Gjørup (AH/LMD) <knud.gjorup@ericsson.com> Mon, 03 April 2006 12:40 UTC

Subject: RE: [L2CP] Revised WG Charter Draft
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 14:40:36 +0200
From: "Knud Gjørup (AH/LMD)" <knud.gjorup@ericsson.com>
To: Robert.Peschi@alcatel.be
Cc: l2cp@ietf.org

Hi Robert,

You are not wrong, but mostly right.
Our main task when extending GSMP for new-L2CP is to define new TLVs and new service related facilities!

Your suggestion about enabling sequence numbering and ack in the new-L2CP application protocol (when some conn-less service is used) may work, but some people will call it: "not very nice".
It's a possibility we need to discuss and decide about in the WG.

The reason why I would like to revisit 1)  "the general housekeeping facilities of GSMP" is the following long and perhaps not complete and perfect list of deviations between old-GSMP and L2CP:
1         The direction of TCP session set up is changed,
2         Port-session-number, L2CP uses always 0 (zero),
3         Only one BRAS per Partition
4         No Adjacency Update Message
5         Normal L2CP packets does not function as keep alive in the Adjacency Protocol
6         Version concept changed to version and sub-version (is in accordance with the GSMP-draft)
7         DSL ports belong to one and only one Partition, and can't be split among Partitions
8         Event sequence number always == 0 (zero)
9         Transaction Id always == 0 (zero)
10     No New Port or Dead Port message
11     No way for a BRAS to find the DSLAM port configuration
(there may be more)

Cheers,
Knud